Botanist (Ecologist), Sydney – 12 month contract position
Biosis are looking to appoint a Botanist/Ecologist to join our team in Sydney. Working closely with a multidisciplined team of professionals, you will be expected to become an integral member of the ecology team in Sydney and be a key contributor to existing and future projects across NSW.
Our Sydney office is located close to the CBD and is easily accessible by public transport. We are a short walk from Redfern or Green Square Train Station. This provides access to all the services of Sydney without the hassle of traffic and parking.
Biosis are seeking a Botanist/Ecologist with experience in field botany and associated biodiversity legislation, capable of providing environmental advice and guidance to our clients. Your responsibilities will include participating in, plant identification, plant ecology, surveying for threatened plants in NSW, conducting and managing projects, and the production of technical reports. Additional duties will include; survey design and implementation, proposal writing, marketing and establishing a profile in the professional community as a Botanist/Ecologist.
To be considered for this role, you will possess the following selection criteria:
• Appropriate tertiary qualifications in botany and/or ecology (or similar).
• A minimum of two years ecological, preferably botanical experience, ideally in consultancy or the public sector.
• Broad plant identification skills for the greater Sydney region and knowledge of the NSW Vegetation Information System.
• Skills in threatened flora and threatened ecological community identification.
• Experience in implementing the NSW BioBanking Assessment Methodology (BBAM). • NSW BioBanking Assessor accreditation (desirable).
• Strong report writing and proposal writing skills.
• Knowledge of Commonwealth and State legislation with regard to ecology.
• Experience with field survey design and implementation.
• Experience in client liaison and consultation.
• Basic experience in marketing and business development including proposal preparation and client liaison.
• Competency with computer programs and software such as MS Word, Excel, Outlook, and/or similar software packages.
• A current manual driver’s license is a must along with a keen desire to be part of a team of specialist consultants.
• Experience with project management, including budgets.
• Interpersonal and relationship building skills.
Biosis offers the security of an established firm with support services in WHS, HR and accounts, and an experienced team in ecological assessment with a strong supportive work culture. We will provide you with a competitive salary package consisting of base plus super, professional membership and conference allowance, plus a wide range of employment benefits. As a Biosis employee, you will also be rewarded with many of our added employee benefits. Some of these benefits include:
• Employee reward and recognition program.
• Flexible work arrangements.
• Mentoring and training program.
• Study assistance.
• Employee assistance program.
• Social activities.
• Internal job opportunities throughout Australia.
This is a 12 month contract position with the potential to become permanent. This opportunity is best suited to individuals with a passion for ecology and looking to become part of an enthusiastic and vibrant team.
For more information, contact Catherine Millar at our head office on (03) 8686 4837. To apply, forward a copy of your CV and a covering letter addressing the selection criteria, to: Catherine Millar – email@example.com.
A position description is available on our website at: www.biosis.com.au
Applications will close at 5pm on Thursday 27 July 2017.
Please note: Australian residents / work permits only.