Title: Botanist X 2 (full-time, permanent)
Location: Newcastle/ Hunter Valley/ NSW
Two positions in leading consultancy
- Diverse projects
- Vibrant team environment
- Competitive salary will be negotiated
Be a member of a large and well established ecology team working across a variety of sectors and locations.
Our biodiversity services are expanding in response to opportunity and demand and we are seeking two Botanists with a focus on vegetation community identification and mapping. The positions will work from our Newcastle (Teralba) Office, carrying out field-based surveys primarily in NSW and focused on the Hunter Valley / Lower North Coast / Western Slopes / Central Coast / Sydney Region. This work will include ecological investigations such as research, data compilation, fieldwork (local and remote), assessment, report writing and project co-ordination to a high standard. The successful applicants will be ‘self-starters’, with the willingness to complete field survey and ability to seek out relevant data and other information required for effective survey and reporting. The positions will focus on the survey, identification and mapping of ecological communities, including listed threatened ecological communities, and the successful candidates will clearly demonstrate experience in this area or a very strong aptitude for such. We are looking for motivated and enthusiastic Botanists who have:
- Appropriate tertiary qualifications in Sciences (Ecology, Botany, Environmental Science etc.);
- Ideally previous relevant working experience (1-5 years) in a relevant field;
- Demonstrated experience in planning and undertaking field work particularly flora survey and assessment;
- Good knowledge of the flora and vegetation types of NSW generally and the Hunter region and Lower North Coast / Central Coast / Sydney regions specifically;
- Strong understanding of State and Commonwealth environmental, biodiversity and ecological legislation and policy relevant to the NSW region;
- Good experience in managing and analysing environmental data using current decision support tools, e.g. GIS;
- Sound knowledge of and experience in implementing workplace health and safety requirements;
- Strong bush navigation skills;
- Demonstrated ability to work within budget and meet deadlines;
- Sound working knowledge using MS office products;
- Excellent scientific, analytical writing skills for preparing reports and accurate data entry skills;
- Current Manual Driver’s Licence;
- Willingness to travel and work throughout NSW and elsewhere regularly and for periods of several weeks on occasion.
- Previous environmental consulting / resources / infrastructure industry experience;
- Previous experience in collection of BioBanking data, its interrogation, entry into relevant calculators and interpretation of results;
- Previous experience in ecology impact assessment and ecology management reporting
- Experience working elsewhere in Australia, particularly ACT and/or Queensland or Western Australia.
So if you are a team player and you are looking to engage with a team of professionals that thrives on challenges, and have the ability to think laterally with a client, stakeholders and quality focus, we invite you to apply to join our team. An attractive remuneration package commensurate with qualifications and experience will be negotiated. Further information about Umwelt can be found at www.umwelt.com.au. Please email your application addressing the ‘essential’ and ‘desirable’ criteria to email@example.com.
Application closes Wednesday 16 August 2017.