Are you seeking a company that:
• Is smaller and offers a friendly and collaborative work environment;
• Prides itself on the quality of its work;
• Seeks out enjoyable, worthwhile projects and clients that we like working for;
• Offers independence and potential to set your own course; and
• Offers project involvement from inception to delivery.
ReconEco is a small, well-established environmental consultancy based in Lismore on the NSW North Coast. The company is loosely divided into two business strains namely the ‘ecology’ section and the ‘feral animal management’ section. The ecology section works throughout Northern NSW and the Northern Tablelands undertaking surveys and preparing a variety of reports including Biodiversity Assessments, Reviews of Environmental Factors, Vegetation Management Plans, Construction Environmental Management Plans and the like. As part of both the ecology and feral animal divisions ReconEco runs a conservation detection dog team that undertakes surveys for threatened fauna (Koala), feral animals and invasive invertebrates. Most of the company’s feral animal monitoring and control is in association with threatened species protection. ReconEco’s client base includes local councils, various local and state government departments, not for profit organisations, local developers, and private individuals.
ReconEco is somewhat different from the bigger, corporate style consultancies in that we are a little selective in the jobs we take on and generally target projects that align with our environmental goals/ethics and are more enjoyable to work on.
ReconEco is seeking to appoint a field ecologist to a casual (potential to develop into a part time position for right candidate) to form part of an expanding ecology/feral management team. The work requirements and timing will vary dependant on the company’s work requirements. The position will support the senior ecology staff to deliver high quality field survey and assessment programs and some reporting and data analysis will be required. It is essential for the successful candidate to be self-motivated and able to work independently (we are a small company of field ecologists and we aren’t always around) or as part of a team (sometimes we’re around!). It is essential that the candidate has excellent field survey skills and is practical and competent in the field under a variety of conditions.
Main duties of the position include:
• Assist with or undertake flora and fauna surveys;
• Spotter/catcher, pre-clearing and clearing supervision;
• Undertake IR camera monitoring programs;
• Nest box installation and monitoring;
• Assist with the delivery of feral animal monitoring and control programs; and
• Use GIS, GPS and electronic data collection devices to plan, implement and report on field survey programs.
• Other duties as required.
To be a successful applicant you will need the following qualifications/attributes:
• Tertiary qualifications in Environmental Science or Natural Resource Management;
• Strong verbal and written communication skills including ability to produce clear and concise reports;
• Strong botany skills including competency in the identification of Northern NSW flora;
• Minimum of 3 years of experience in a field ecology position or similar including spotter/catcher experience;
• Ability to work independently or as part of a team;
• Experience with the use of electronic field data collection devices;
• Unrestricted NSW drivers licence; and
• Willingness to travel to perform duties.
• Knowledge of NSW and Federal environmental legislation as it relates to the delivery of ecological field assessments and associated reports;
• Current first aid certificate;
• (AQF3) qualification (Chem Cert or similar); and
• 4wd training/experience.
• Friendly and flexible workplace with a ‘casual’ small company atmosphere;
• Learn from approachable and experienced senior staff;
• Competitive salary in line with level of competence/experience;
• Potential to work on a wide variety of interesting assessment and monitoring projects; and
• Budget for training/professional development for the right candidate.
If you would like to work for a small, professional company and be part of a close-knit team working on a diversity of interesting projects, please forward your application (resume and cover letter addressing selection criteria) to enquiry@ReconEco.com.au (Attn: Craig)
Closing date for applications is 5.00pm Tuesday 16 March, 2021