SLR is seeking a Senior Ecologist/Botanist to join our team of specialists and to also be instrumental in the growth of our Newcastle (New Lambton) office. You will report directly to the Technical Discipline Manager for Ecology and work closely with other skilled environmental professionals across the SLR business.
This role is both dynamic and exciting and would suit someone who is a team player and enjoys a fast paced, team-focused environment. The successful applicant will be involved in all elements of project management and will have the opportunity to actively participate in and encourage business development. You will be a self-motivated individual who is looking for a role that will further develop your capabilities and offer you unique and interesting career opportunities.
Your role will be to lead or assist in the execution of ecological field surveys and in the preparation professional ecological consulting reports for a diverse range of clients and projects. You will assist in the compilation of information on terrestrial ecology, in both coastal and inland environments, for monitoring and impact assessment projects. The role will require experience in BioBanking and mine site rehabilitation monitoring, as well as preparation of management plans. While not essential, skills in bushland management, GIS and/or bush fire assessment would be viewed favourably.
To be considered for this role, you will have:
• Appropriate tertiary qualifications in Science, Environmental Science, Environmental Management, Natural Resources or in another related field.
• A minimum of 8 years’ experience in an ecological role in the environmental consulting sector or an equivalent role in Government, including undertaking ecological surveys and report production.
• Experience in the design and implementation of flora and field surveys, particularly BioBanking surveys.
• Excellent flora and fauna identification skills, in coastal and inland regions of NSW.
• Mature report writing and computer skills, with demonstrated ability to prepare high quality written material for publication.
• Proven ability to work to deadlines and manage multiple tasks.
• Comprehensive interpersonal and relationship building skills.
• Experience with relevant NSW and Commonwealth legislation and policy, and its application to development projects.
• Proven project management experience in relation to client management and budget control.
Desirable skills and abilities include:
• Accreditation under the NSW BioBanking and Offset Scheme and experience in application of the BioBanking Credit Calculator.
• Experience in the quantification of biodiversity offsets and completion of biodiversity offset strategies.
• Qualifications and on-site experience with bushland management (‘bushland regeneration’) (e.g. Dip Conservation & Land Management).
• Training and experience in mine site rehabilitation monitoring, including application of Landscape Function Analysis (LFA).
• Training, certification and/or experience in bush fire hazard assessments.
• Animal handling and wildlife rescue experience.
• First aid training.
• 4WD training and certification.
• Skills and/or training in spatial technology and software application for geographic information systems (GIS).
SLR values our staff and look to provide a supportive and collaborative working culture. Therefore, in return the successful candidate will be offered an attractive salary, opportunities for regional and interstate travel and an innovative benefit program with a strong focus on targeted professional development.
If you are interested in this position and have the requisite qualifications and experience, we would love to hear from you! Please submit your application and a cover letter addressing the selection criteria to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting ‘PC1ECONTL’ in the subject heading.